Income Tax Check List for Income Tax Preparation in Woodbridge Township, Elizabeth, NJ, Newark, Linden, Rahway, NJ, and Surrounding Areas
To help us assist you better with your individual or business tax, please have this information available when you arrive for your appointment.
Individual Personal Information
- Your social security number.
- Your spouse’s full name and social security number.
- Amount of any alimony paid and ex-spouse’s social security number.
Information About the People You Are Claiming As Deductions
- Dates of birth and social security numbers.
- Childcare records (including the provider’s ID #) if applicable.
- Approximate income of other adults in your home (not spouse, if you’re filing jointly).
- Copies of your divorce decree.
- Other documents showing that your ex-spouse is releasing their right to claim a child to you.
Education Payments Information
- Forms 1098-T and 1098-E, if you received them.
- Scholarships and fellowships.
- Bills from the educational institution.
- Anything else that itemizes what you paid or received loans for versus what was covered by scholarship or other financial aid.
- Forms: W-2.
- Business-use asset information for depreciation.
- Records of all expenses – check registers or credit card statements, and receipts.
- Office in home information, if applicable.
- Forms: 1099-MISC, Schedules K-1,
- Income records to verify amounts not reported on form 1099.
- If you want to claim actual expenses, receipts.
- Totals for gas, oil, car washes, licenses, personal property tax, lease or interest expense, etc.
- Total business miles driven for the year.
- Total miles driven for the year.
- Amount of parking and tolls paid.
Rental Income Information
- Rental asset information for depreciation.
- Records of income and expenses.
Retirement Income Information
- Pension/IRA/annuity income (1099-R).
- Social security/RRB income (1099-SSA, RRB-1099).
Savings and Investments Profolio Information
- Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis for assets and property that you sold.
- Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S).
- Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV).
Other Earned Income Information
- Prizes and awards.
- Jury duty records.
- Unemployment, state tax refund (1099-G).
- Hobby income and expenses.
- Amount of any alimony received and ex-spouse’s name.
- Gambling income (W-2G or records showing income).
- Health care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099).
- Other 1099.
Records and Information for Itemized Deductions
- Amounts of miles driven for charitable or medical purposes.
- Records of non-cash charitable donations.
- Amounts paid for healthcare insurance and to doctors, dentists, hospitals.
- HUD statement showing closing date of home purchase.
- Real estate and personal property tax records.
- Forms 1098 or other mortgage statements.
- Employment-related expenses.
- Invoice showing amount of vehicle sales tax paid.
- Expenses related to your investments.
- Amount of state/local income tax paid, or amount of state and local sales tax paid.
- Cash amounts donated to houses of worship, schools, other charitable organizations.
- Amount paid for preparation of your 2010 tax return.
- Job hunting expenses.
- Value of IRAs as of Dec. 31st of the tax year.
- Traditional IRA cost basis.
- Amount contributed for the tax year.
Federally Declared Disaster Claim Information
- Records of rebuilding/repair costs.
- Insurance reimbursements/claims to be paid.
- Records to support property losses.
- City/county you lived/worked/had property in.